Friday, September 28, 2012

Perception of aesthetic beauty and cognitive limits to open-mindedness


It is obvious that some people perceive aesthetic beauty more deeply than others.

This performance exemplifies the singer's extraordinary attention to every piece of micro-detail.It is worthwhile to note that such an ability to perceive micro-detail  is partly innate and partly acquired.

I love Hariharan's singing not because  I "like" Hariharan and try to reason out later.In other words, Hariharan's singing best conforms to my model of aesthetic beauty.For example,notice the intelligent use of vocal effects(subtle changes in volume)  that has a strong connection with parts of the brain that process emotion.

A person who is rooted to his perception of aesthetic beauty will instinctively repel possible experiences that do not conform to his idea of aesthetic beauty.For instance,can a person like classical music and heavy metal  equally?Likewise, can a person be equally comfortable with people with radically different world views?
Are there practical limits to open-mindedness?If there is,how many people admit that there are biased in some form or the other?These questions are by no means rhetorical.



8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you need to elaborate more on this.I think you mean one's standpoint when you refer to 'bias'.
    Also i see you defending yourself, in a a way not open enough when you say this is not rhetorical. Of course it is not, i believe a person can grow on to host paradoxes in him, that would be creative growth according to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jappy....explain how do you think Ian defending myself?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's my opinion.....There are practical limits to open-mindedness.....For instance,when Sachin Tendulkar was going through a lean patch, Ian Chappel and other experts wrote him off.....Didn't he selectively filter out what he did not want to hear??That's why Sachin is Sachin.....I concede that I might be digressing mildly.....(Open Mindedness to different art forms and different people might seem to be the topic)But I am talking about open-mindedness in general..

    ReplyDelete
  5. In a nutshell,taking open-mindedness too far is tantamount to losing one's individuality....
    Disclaimer:Just my opinion...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who is taking it too far? i think it is you. This is entire process is in defense of people wanting you to be open minded. This is an a way your reply to them explaining your unwillingness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Valid Point...That's why I wrote this blog....I value your opinion....

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be precise...This blog was a way to seek clarity from a psychological standpoint

    ReplyDelete